(260) 636-2672

Frequently Asked Questions

My credit report shows an Indiana Department of Revenue tax lien on my record. It says this report is on file in the Recorder's office. How can I get a copy?

Credit bureaus frequently and incorrectly report that state tax liens are filed in the Noble County Recorder's office. These records are not held by this office. The best source of information regarding your state tax liens is the Indiana Department of Revenue. You may contact them directly at 317-232-2240, or visit their website at www.in.gov/dor.

Where is the Noble County Recorder's office located?

The Recorder's office is located on the second floor of the Noble County Courthouse in Albion, Indiana.

How are the fees charged by the Recorder's office determined and set?

The Recorder's office is a state constitutional office and as such, fees charged by the Recorder's office are established under Indiana Code 36-2-7. Recording requirements are set by Indiana Code 36-2-11.

I received a solicitation by mail offering to sell me a copy of the deed to my home. Is this the only way I can obtain this record?

The deed to your home or property is a public record available in the Recorder's office. In many cases, it costs $2 or less to obtain a copy of your deed from the Recorder's office. To obtain your deed, you will need to provide the owner's name, the property's legal description, and an approximate date of purchase. Deeds can also sometimes be located by address.

I need to file a document with the Recorder's office. Do you provide templates or blank forms that I can fill out to prepare a lien, release, deed or other document?

The Noble County Recorder's office provides blank copies of the Certificate of Assumed Business Name form in hard copy and for download that you may fill out and return. Because of the legal specificity other instruments require, no other forms or templates are provided.

Why won't the Recorder's office perform lien searches?

The Recorder's office is committed to providing excellent customer service. However, we are also concerned about making sure customers have a complete picture when looking for liens or other claims against property. All records which have been recorded in Noble County are open and available for review by you in the Recorder's office. Please be aware that court judgments, state tax liens, and bankruptcies are among the claims against property that are NOT necessarily filed with the Recorder's office.

If I have a question about whether or not I have prepared a document correctly, will you evaluate it for me before I submit it for recording?

The Recorder's office staff is happy to review documents in advance to check for missing recording requirements. We cannot, however, answer legal questions or review aspects of the document beyond its compliance with recording requirements.

I need a copy of my birth certificate. Are birth certificates available in the Noble County Recorder's office?

Birth certificates for persons born in Noble County, Indiana are available through the Vital Records Division of the Fort Wayne-Noble County Department of Health. The Vital Records Division of Noble County can be reached by calling 260-636-2191.

Do you have an online searchable database for recorded deeds and other information?

At present, deeds can be searched back to 1937, and mortgages back to 1993. Other documents vary. Two remote access products, Laredo and Tapestry, are now available for users who wish to search for and retrieve data and documents. Public terminals are available for use for searching in the Recorder's office.

How can I get a copy of the Noble County Recorder's fee schedule?

A current fee schedule is available on this website. See "Recording Fees" for more information.

What types of payments does the Recorder's office accept?

The Recorder's office currently accepts payments for recording and copies by cash or check only.

I wish to dissolve an assumed business name I previously filed with the Recorder's office. How do I go about doing that?

You may dissolve an assumed business name by filing a "Cancellation of Assumed Business Name" form. The cost is $25. Visit our downloads page here to access the form.

How do I know if I must include the Social Security affirmation statement on my document?

In accordance with Indiana Code 36-2-11-15, most documents submitted to the Recorder's office must contain the afformation statement. Exceptions include the following:

  • An instrument executed before July 1, 1959, or recorded before July 26, 1967
  • A judgment, order or writ of court
  • A will or death certificate
  • An instrument executed or acknowledged outside the state of Indiana
  • Federal liens on real property
  • A federal tax liens on personal property

If I wish to file a tort claim against city or county government, do I bring it to the Recorder's office?

You should consult an attorney regarding the necessary steps regarding a notice of tort claim. An attorney can advise you where and when a notice of tort claim must be filed.

Does the Recorder's office have information regarding neighborhood association bylaws and restrictive covenants?

Restrictive covenants are filed with the Recorder's office. Covenants can exist either as separate documents or as part of the original plat of the subdivision. On rare occasions, neighborhood associations also record their bylaws.

How do I add or delete a name on the deed to my property?

Consult an attorney to make certain you are executing a deed or instrument which transfers the property rights and interests you wish to transfer. In order to record a properly prepared deed or instrument, it must first have been submitted to the Noble County Assessor's office and the Noble County Auditor's office. The Noble County Assessor and Auditor may require a sales disclosure form be filed, which may be acquired at the Auditor's office or online through the Auditor's website. The Auditor's office charges a fee for all sales disclosures.

What is the role of the Recorder's office in starting a business?

You are required under Indiana Code 23-15-1-1 to file a fictitious business name statement for a variety of different reasons. This document, known as a Certificate of Assumed Business Name, should be filed in the Recorder's office in the county in which you are doing business.

Still Need Help?
If your questions aren't answered here, please email us at: cmyers@nobleco.org

You may also contact the Recorder's office by completing the form below.

Contact Us

Success! Message received.